NVIDIA Drivers and Settings
Install NVIDIA drivers on CentOS 7
Install NVIDIA drivers on CentOS 7 (alt)
- For "tidewater", the graphics card is GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050 Ti]
- To find it on https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx drill down to:
- GeForce > GeForce 10 Series > GeForce GTX 1050 Ti > Linux 64-bit > Production
- You can also find the latest production version on https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/unix/
First make sure you do the following:
yum install libglvnd-devel
Notes from 26 Sept 2022
When I tried to upgrade driver above NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-418.56.run the X server crashed upon boot (noted by message upon first login "ABRT has detected 1 problem(s). For more info run: abrt-cli list –since 1664211525"
I re-installed the NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-418.56.run file and accepted the defaults of including 32-bit libraries. Believe I skipped DKMS as it gave an error and aborted installation. It seems the RPM xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.20.4-18.el7_9.x86_64 is giving the problem.
Notes from 18 Sept 2022
To get into run level 3: https://www.thegeekdiary.com/centos-rhel-7-how-to-change-runlevels-in-rhel7-with-systemd/
Notes from 4 June 2022
- When I installed 515.48.07, I did not have the libglvnd-devel installed. So I thought it was going to fail, but it actually kept going.
- It took about 3 minutes to finish.
- I answered Yes to update the X configuration (but where is the file?)
- It said it was going to make a backup (but where)?
- Rebooted, screen came up OK after a delay of a few seconds
To discover graphic card model that is installed:
lshw -numeric -C display
To find current NVIDIA driver version:
The following commands might be useful for updating the X server settings with NVIDIA graphics cards: